Filling Your Storage Unit
- It’s a good idea to use pallets on the floor and leave a little space between your unit walls and boxes to allow circulation.
- Try to avoid using plastic bags to store things because they don’t breathe.
- Store longer items vertically.
- Store glass and mirrors between mattresses in similarly sized boxes. Bubble wrap and newspaper all fragile items.
- Use boxes that are a uniform size – they will stack much easier and utilize space better.
- Place heavier items towards the bottom and smaller, lighter things on top.
- It’s best to fill the unit from the back to the front of the unit.
- If you have enough room, create an aisle for easy access to the back.
- Stack chairs on top of each other when possible.
- Group similar items together.
- Label everything you can with the contents inside. Photo or Video your stored items.
- Storing a refrigerator or washer/dryer? Leave doors slightly ajar – prevents mold.
- Photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place between pieces of cardboard and tape them together. Do not store irreplaceable photos.
- Clean and dry all appliances prior to storage. Do not leave anything inside of appliances to be stored. Store all appliances upright with doors ajar to allow ventilation.
- Have blankets, draperies and clothing cleaned, then pack them on hangers in wardrobe boxes.
- Pack books flat in small boxes and don’t put them in boxes with other, more fragile, items.
- Treat leather items (couches, clothes, etc.) with a leather conditioner prior to storing them.
- Place mattresses in plastic slip-on covers to protect them from dust and moisture.
- Use a high quality disc (round) padlock to secure your storage unit. This type of lock is difficult to cut or break and offers maximum protection for very little money.
DO NOT STORE THESE ITEMS:
Combustible, Flammable, Hazardous or Toxic Materials
These include gasoline, compressed gas, propane tanks, kerosene, lamp and motor oil, acid, grease, corrosives, fertilizer, diesel oil, paint, cleaners, chemicals, hazardous, toxic, biological waste, asbestos, fireworks, explosives, weapons, firearms, ammunition and radioactive materials..
Used tires, drugs or drug paraphernalia, stolen items, perishable items of any kind, items that produce odors, animals and plants.
NOT RECOMMENDED ITEMS:
Furs, jewelry and other expensive items, irreplaceable items, freezable or perishable items, such as: aerosol products, liquids, paint and food products